Tuesday 8 May 2012


I find cutting play with a cheese wire extremely satisfying. While looking through my coloured clay book I found an artist who combines different coloured clays and cuts through them to make interesting patterns. The artist Ben Davies has created some really interesting patterned pots. I very much like the organic movement of his patterns as they are not completely in his control.















I'm finding it difficult to get help learning how to turn it is coming very apparent I will have to be self taught. I have started to watch you cheap tutorials to help me develop my skills as I find them more useful than the books.

After watching since tutorials and went back to the poetry  wheel, this time I took 5 piece of clay with me and began throwing, although I did not manage to centre every piece of clay I did manage to make 5 bowls some of which were centred. One in particular went out of control but has turned out to just look a bit more quirky than before. Once you have thrown a bowl you have to flood the wheel with water and pull the water under the pot using wire so that the pot slides off the 
wheel. I definitely miss shaped my pots as I wasn't careful enough pulling off the wheel. Something I learned from this was that to dry the clay using a sponge while it is still spinning on the wheel makes it more solid. I put the bowls in the damp covered overnight so that I could turn them the next day.


I found this one very useful however my bowls did no look like hers, still need a lot of pratice.

No comments:

Post a Comment